And this..THIS is what I believe..
A quick post here....
Some of you may know my passion for educational equality and despair at the existence of extreme poverty, some of you may not (though- have we never had a glass of wine together? Have you not heard me rant?).
Some of you may, also, know of my absolute and all powerful love of the band U2. Some of you may, like others around the globe, have an extreme distaste for the lead singer of U2, Bono, and feel he needs to shut up. I don't. He is a man who has taken his wealth and his status and used it for good. He has worked tirelessly for the eradication of extreme poverty, the deletion of diseases such as malaria and AIDS.
Recently, Bono gave a talk at a TED event (and if you don't know what TED is- get on it and visit the website!) that is remarkable. Remarkable because he discusses how we (the great WE) can eliminate extreme poverty by the year 2030. Yes, you read that correctly- 2030. ELIMINATE POVERTY in 17 YEARS!! And he backs this up, not with bombastic rhetoric, but with facts.
Please watch:
Again, some of you may have heard of Malala Yousafzai. If not, please leave this page and google her- immediately!! I'm including a link here to a website where the fabulous cartoonist Gavin Aung Than has created an amazing graphic depiction of one of Malala's inspirational quotes. It's beautiful and powerful. Please look at it.
http://zenpencils.com/comic/104-malala-yousafzai-i-have-the-right/
It is 2013. There is no, NO, excuse for anyone in the world to be living in extreme poverty. There is no, NO, excuse for any child to deprived of an education, for any reason!
I know that I'm preaching to the choir- that anyone who would choose to read my blog already agrees with me. But now, I'm asking you to do something about it. Check out the movie, Girl Rising, if it is in your area. Visit places like www.one.org, www.roomtoread.org, www.halftheskymovement.org, www.10x10act.org, www.theglobalfund.org and donate.
Because we can and we must.
Some of you may know my passion for educational equality and despair at the existence of extreme poverty, some of you may not (though- have we never had a glass of wine together? Have you not heard me rant?).
Some of you may, also, know of my absolute and all powerful love of the band U2. Some of you may, like others around the globe, have an extreme distaste for the lead singer of U2, Bono, and feel he needs to shut up. I don't. He is a man who has taken his wealth and his status and used it for good. He has worked tirelessly for the eradication of extreme poverty, the deletion of diseases such as malaria and AIDS.
Recently, Bono gave a talk at a TED event (and if you don't know what TED is- get on it and visit the website!) that is remarkable. Remarkable because he discusses how we (the great WE) can eliminate extreme poverty by the year 2030. Yes, you read that correctly- 2030. ELIMINATE POVERTY in 17 YEARS!! And he backs this up, not with bombastic rhetoric, but with facts.
Please watch:
Again, some of you may have heard of Malala Yousafzai. If not, please leave this page and google her- immediately!! I'm including a link here to a website where the fabulous cartoonist Gavin Aung Than has created an amazing graphic depiction of one of Malala's inspirational quotes. It's beautiful and powerful. Please look at it.
http://zenpencils.com/comic/104-malala-yousafzai-i-have-the-right/
It is 2013. There is no, NO, excuse for anyone in the world to be living in extreme poverty. There is no, NO, excuse for any child to deprived of an education, for any reason!
I know that I'm preaching to the choir- that anyone who would choose to read my blog already agrees with me. But now, I'm asking you to do something about it. Check out the movie, Girl Rising, if it is in your area. Visit places like www.one.org, www.roomtoread.org, www.halftheskymovement.org, www.10x10act.org, www.theglobalfund.org and donate.
Because we can and we must.
Comments
Post a Comment