Slovenia- continued
Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping.....
Once again, I've become a horrible blogger. What I should do is set aside time every week to update the blog, but THAT will never happen. I can barely find time to clean my flat!!
School is crazy, I'm back attempting to study Czech, and then the last 3 weeks I've been down with a horrible cold/ flu.....all of this adds up to no blog posts.
I want to finish up the trip I took with Mom & Dad down to Slovenia....and then get to my summer trips...and then a few fall trips....sheesh...I'm so behind.
As these trips were a while ago, the details will be minimum, but at least I'll be able to share some photos and a taste of the adventures.
Without further ado, Slovenia:
Ljubljana is a gorgeous, gorgeous place. Situated along the Ljubljanica, the old town area is full of shops, restaurants, and beautiful architecture. Looming over the city, on Grajska planota, or Castle Hill, stands Ljubljanski Grad (Ljubljana Castle). In order to reach the castle, you take a glass funicular up the hill. The castle itself is a reconstruction from the 16th century after a devastating earthquake in 1511. The castle has been the site of the royal residence and served as a military garrison and jail. The ramparts allow the visitor amazing views of the city as it spreads out at the foot of the hill. A great view!
We walked around the castle for a bit and I ended up climbing up the observation tower, which I believe was a few hundred steps!!! And I had the pleasure of going up behind a group of small school children....who counted EACH AND EVERY STEP!! One at a time. And then the same thing going down. haha....this endeavor took a bit of time. So, by the time I went up, took pics, and came back down, we didn't have much time to do much else, but head back down.
After riding the funicular down the hill, we continued around the town. After passing through a great farmers market, where we bought some delicious fresh cherries, and passed the fish market, we ended up having a lovely lunch along the river.
After lunch it was time to leave beautiful Ljubljana behind and head south. We were heading towards the coast. At the pension, I had mentioned to the owner that I wanted to get to the coast and that we had planned on going to Koper, he suggested that we head even further south to the town of Piran. Situated on the Gulf of Piran and the Adriatic Sea, it is pretty much the southernmost part of Slovenia and on the border with Croatia. When a local tells you a place to go....usually there is a reason for it!! So off to Piran!!
Once again, I've become a horrible blogger. What I should do is set aside time every week to update the blog, but THAT will never happen. I can barely find time to clean my flat!!
School is crazy, I'm back attempting to study Czech, and then the last 3 weeks I've been down with a horrible cold/ flu.....all of this adds up to no blog posts.
I want to finish up the trip I took with Mom & Dad down to Slovenia....and then get to my summer trips...and then a few fall trips....sheesh...I'm so behind.
As these trips were a while ago, the details will be minimum, but at least I'll be able to share some photos and a taste of the adventures.
Without further ado, Slovenia:
![]() |
| Looking up the funicular |
| Riding up with the crowd |
![]() |
| Dragons are a huge thing in Ljubljana |
![]() |
| This grape vine is something like 400 yrs. old! |
| Ljubljana stretches into the horizon |
| Courtyard of the castle |
| A great weather day! |
We walked around the castle for a bit and I ended up climbing up the observation tower, which I believe was a few hundred steps!!! And I had the pleasure of going up behind a group of small school children....who counted EACH AND EVERY STEP!! One at a time. And then the same thing going down. haha....this endeavor took a bit of time. So, by the time I went up, took pics, and came back down, we didn't have much time to do much else, but head back down.
| Pigeons enjoying a romantic view |
![]() |
| Inside the jail |
| Looking down the tower (this is where I started to climb) |
| View from the ramparts |
| Surrounded by mountains |
| Top of the observation tower |
| Getting ready to climb down again |
| Amazing views |
![]() |
| Selfie |
| Yep, climbed up all those...counting each one... |
After riding the funicular down the hill, we continued around the town. After passing through a great farmers market, where we bought some delicious fresh cherries, and passed the fish market, we ended up having a lovely lunch along the river.
| Looking up to the observation tower |
| Fish Market |
![]() |
| Amazing door to a cathedral |
![]() |
| Inside the chapel at the castle |
| The ceiling of the chapel was so colorful |
| Shields of patrons and royalty |
| Pigeons, pigeons everywhere |
| In the museum at the castle |
| Heading back down |
| Farmers market |
| So much fresh fruit |
| Another market |
| Sitting at lunch along the river |
![]() |
| Um....how lovely is this??!! |
![]() |
| Another selfie |
| Goodbye, Ljubljana |
After lunch it was time to leave beautiful Ljubljana behind and head south. We were heading towards the coast. At the pension, I had mentioned to the owner that I wanted to get to the coast and that we had planned on going to Koper, he suggested that we head even further south to the town of Piran. Situated on the Gulf of Piran and the Adriatic Sea, it is pretty much the southernmost part of Slovenia and on the border with Croatia. When a local tells you a place to go....usually there is a reason for it!! So off to Piran!!






















Comments
Post a Comment