Happy Thanksgiving!!!

It's Black Friday here in Ostrava…only, it's NOT Black Friday as Czechs don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Surprise, surprise. It was just a normal day yesterday and today. 

BUT don't you feel sorry for me….as always I found a way to celebrate! By hosting Thanksgiving for 13 at my flat last Saturday :)

The Pilgrims are ready
A big task, but a very successful one (if I say so myself). We had 2 turkeys, 4 pies, 2 green bean casseroles, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, cheesy bread dip, guacamole, tzatziki, various other dips…..wine, beer, and a bandoleer of tiny shot bottles!!!!! Whew :)

Turkey #2
Though it took hours to clean and get ready……the turkeys weren't quite thawed when I cooked them….one was not done and had to be put back in….and I was quite stressed, I think it went quite well and everyone had a great time!!!



Apple Galette

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Flat is ready to go





Yummy!!!

Chocolate Tart w/ raspberries

Desert time

Thanksgiving is the hardest holiday for me to be abroad. Many reasons for this….it is truly an American holiday- this feasting, parading, football watching holiday just doesn't really make sense to non-Americans. There is no religious reason for it, no State reason for it, no gifts are exchanged….It's, also, hard to be away because as long as I live abroad I very likely will NEVER get back to the States for Thanksgiving as it is at an awkward time of the year. I've now missed out on 7 Thanksgivings…

BUT..I'm so so thankful for all that I have!!!! And it was wonderful to spend time with and celebrate with my family here in the Czech Republic. My friends and co-workers here are amazing and I'm so lucky to be a part of such a wonderful team. I'm thankful for my job, which I LOVE so much. The joy far outweighs any complaints about students, paperwork, and standards I may have!!  I'm thankful for my wonderful friends back in the States and around the globe who, though I don't get to see or spend time with, know that I love them and that have touched my life so deeply. I'm thankful for my family who puts up with me being so far away…..and loves me and supports me unconditionally. I'm thankful for all the crazy twists and turns my life has taken…all the obstacles and roadblocks I have had in my way…because I'm thankful for the life I lead. I'm a lucky, lucky, lucky girl (though I do actually work very hard for it, too)!!

SO HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

And PS…I'm Stateside in 14 days :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new look and part 2 school trip

New School Year- New Country

How is it May???!!!