USA! USA! Hockey!!

I'm not going to start this post off in my usual way...it's obvious I've been busy. 

But doing some real exciting things!! Things I only get to experience because I live overseas. 

Since the 1st of May, the Czech Republic has been hosting the World Hockey Championships- in Prague AND in Ostrava!!

Now, yes, it's not the Stanley Cup so most North Americans don't care. But in Europe...well, it's kind of a 'big deal'. And the whole country has been charged up and energized. Stodolni Street has been overrun by massive roving gangs of Finns and Russians and Norwegians. And they are insanely into the hockey!!

Needless to say, there aren't TOO many Americans around to cheer for Team USA, but lucky me, their rounds were played in Ostrava. AND I was able to see them not once, but twice. The last game being the quarterfinals. 

It is very weird being in a stadium full of people and being completely outnumbered! 


USA vs. Slovakia- it was a Slovakian home game!
Or sitting in your seat for a quarterfinal match and being pretty much the only person in your section. 


I joined my fellow Americans after this picture


One of the aspects about living abroad seems to be that no matter how patriotic you were before you left, the longer you are abroad, the more patriotic you seem to get. I guess unless you left your home country for a particularly nasty reason. Which, as my loyal readers know, I am no "ex"-pat. 

I've been to many sporting events- Badgers, Packers, Avs, Brewers, Admirals, Bucks, Rockies, Broncos, etc., etc.- but watching an event that involves countries is a completely  different beast!! The chants, the cheers, the flags, the face-painting...it is a sight to behold. And you can't help but get caught up in it all...and want to wear your country colors with pride. 

Especially when your national anthem is played and your flag is raised.



I experienced this at the Olympics in London and it was the case here in Ostrava as well. It's a feeling that can't really be described- though I guess I just tried- and just needs to be experienced. 

It can, however, be very intimidating walking through a stadium filled with Slovaks while you are wearing USA gear after having just eliminated their team from the tournament!!

Post Slovakia vs. USA game
But the absolute best, best, BEST part of these types of games is that everyone, generally, is so excited just to be there that they are willing to shake your hand after the game and share a beer or two!!!

Slovak fan sitting next to me at the game- congratulated me on every US goal!!

Absolutely insane Finnish fans!! 

And then, the Russians came....





I know the Cold War is over, but it will never NOT be intimidating being surrounded by massive Russians on all sides!! At least the crazy Finns were also in attendance!

All in all, the atmosphere was amazing, the hockey was fantastic, and the camaraderie was so exciting, I just had to go to the quarterfinal game with the US vs. Switzerland!!! ( I guess I won't be travelling much as it cost a pretty koruna to go!!)

But worth it.....





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new look and part 2 school trip

New School Year- New Country

How is it May???!!!