Amazonas
October 11 couldn't come fast enough...mid-term break!
As I mentioned in my last post, it has been a trying few months getting used to my new home, new school, and new students. Especially...the new students.
Landing in the teeny airport, we were whisked off by a friendly taxi driver and dropped off at our hotel, which was right in the heart of Leticia. Checking in, we arranged for two days of tours, paid and got everything sorted in our room.
As I mentioned in my last post, it has been a trying few months getting used to my new home, new school, and new students. Especially...the new students.

I have to admit- it was heaven not to have the students for a week. A few days of PD and then it was time for a 5-day weekend!
Another teacher, T, had invited me to go to Amazonas with her and I happily accepted.
We were headed to Leticia, Colombia. The southern most city in Colombia. Not really a city, more like a village on the frontier of the Amazon. Leticia is located in the point of Colombia right next to Peru and Brasil. In fact, it only fairly recently became part of Colombia. As you can see below, it is much closer to Peru and Brasil than to the rest of the country.
Well, I got my yellow fever vaccination, bought new hiking boots, and packed a lot of mosquito repellant (100% DEET) and off we went for a few days of adventure!
We couldn't have been luckier with our rooms. The hotel was located in a very convenient area, super clean, had great AC, a pool (though we never used it), and a decent breakfast every morning. Couldn't have been happier- especially having heard horror stories of bugs galore and other scary stories!!
Hungry, we set off for Brasil...a short 30 minute walk away! My 2nd South American country ✓
We even had to exchange money at the border! You can only go about 30 km into Brasil and Peru without a visa; basically, you just walk over the border, go down the main drag, have lunch and then walk back. Which is exactly what we did- Sao Jorge had been recommended to us for lunch and it did NOT disappoint. I had a mountain of fried fish, shrimp, crab, octopus, etc. So good, but WAY too much for one person. In fact, T had a mountain of leftovers as well, so we took them with us and gave them to the guy at the money exchange booth on our way back to Leticia.
Other than lunch, we made a quick stop at the house of chocolate to pick up some sweets and a couple of bottles of a specific, cheap alcohol for a friend. Apparently, the chocolate is super tasty (though I didn't really think so...) and the booze makes a great caipirinha (I've yet to have one).
After getting up early to catch our flight, travelling most of the day, and then walking in the heat, we were in bed and asleep by 7:30!! Yep, living that wild and crazy party life in Colombia!!
The first full day, we were scheduled to go to Puerto Nariño and Isla del Los Micos (the Isle of Monkeys).
Or so we thought!
We were picked up early in the morning in the midst of a couple downpour (we were in the rain forest...). Walked down a precarious "dock" to a rickety local boat and headed off on the Amazon. I was a little concerned about this...this was how we were going to be seeing the Amazon? With no life jackets? And water being bailed out of the bottom of the boat??? *sigh, relax*
We were actually just headed for the main boat at a different dock! We waited there for a while- it ended up being the home for the family who own the boat. They had a few dogs, a kitten, and kids...all checking out the two gringo girls!!
Finally, the boat arrived and with it were the other people on our trip- a family of adults celebrating one of their birthdays. And we were off...
In the opposite direction from Puerto Narino!!!
We were a bit concerned and confused...especially when we went down a little tributary and the boat beached itself on a little sand bar and we were told to get out. And then hiked through the rain forest on what can only be described as an inkling of a trail. In the rain. Through massive mud puddles, piles of decaying leaves (with who knows what underneath!), and across flowing rivers that we had to climb through.
Needless to say, I was a bit freaked out!! 

But then we ended up at an abandoned house...full of all types of monkeys!!! We were able to hang with the monkeys for quite a while. They climbed over us, ate bananas, checked us out, and were just adorable and amazing. I didn't have any monkeys climb on me, but I DID have an anaconda climb on me! It was so heavy- and out of my comfort zone.
At one point, I was taking a picture of one monkey and it reached out to touch my camera and then it grabbed my hand. It was a very special moment.
And I shared a special moment with one of the dogs hanging out with the monkeys- I wanted to take her with me.
T and I were having a good time, but after getting soaked to the bone and mud filled shoes, we were still confused as to what was going on. As it turns out, the tour guide flipped the days. OOhhhh that makes sense!! Would have been nice to be told this, but whatever, we still were going to see all the places we wanted.
After lunch at an eco-lodge in Sacambu, Peru and taking a short little nap in a hammock above the Amazon, we headed back to Leticia. Along the way, we stopped at a village called Islandia. All of the places along the river are built up on stilts. We were visiting during the low or dry season, so the river was way down. In fact, we also stopped at a big beach area, which was really just the river bottom. It was very interesting to see how people cope with living on the banks of the Amazon. And while I'm not sure I could live that way, they have made it work with all the comforts of home.
Towards the end of the day on the river, we stopped to spot the pink river dolphins, one of the main draws to the area. Basically, the boat goes until someone spots a tail, then it stops and trawls in a circle while everyone whistles. Then, if you're lucky, you catch a glimpse of a body and tail in a flip. We saw several over the course of the three days. BUT to be honest, it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. Basically, they look like very large fish. And are more mottled pink/gray than bright pink. Still, it was super to be there to see them!
After getting back to the room, by climbing through even more mud, we showered and found a place for pizza. And then...asleep again by 8:00!!
Have fun looking through the pics from the first day!
Comments
Post a Comment