Badgerjen's Summer Tour 2012- Ireland Part 1

So, I finally replaced my Ipad camera adapter (more on that later) and can upload pics which means I can finally post about my summer holidays. And birthday celebrations. And Budapest.

Basically, I can get everyone caught up with my oh so exciting life!!

*Hopefully my old, addled mind can remember the details of my holiday*

WAY back in July....My first week of summer vacation was spent cleaning, packing and gathering a few things I needed for my trip, then I headed to Praha to spend a few days relaxing with Lyn before heading off. It was great to take it easy before the trip...I wasn't as stressed out as I usually am before a trip.

Why, you may ask, was I going to Ireland for just a day? Well, back in March when I went to Galway for spring break, I had to rebook my flight in order to be in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day. That involved buying a round trip ticket from Dublin to Prague. Which meant that I had the Prague/ Dublin leg of the trip left to use. So, why not??!!

When I left Praha, it was HOT. Naturally, I was wearing shorts. Not the wisest choice when going to Ireland! I landed in Dublin and it was drizzling and freezing. I'm pretty sure my cabbie taking me to my hotel thought I was crazy :)

My hotel was one of those small cozy pub hotels that are typical in Dublin. And it was located above an after hours rock club! The location was great, right off O'Connell Street. I got checked in and changed into jeans and a sweater (brrrrrr.....) and looked out the window. It was raining, but hey it IS Dublin and to be expected. I grabbed my umbrella, rolled up the jeans a bit, and headed out. For the first block, things were fine and I headed towards the Liffey and Grafton Street.
Trinity College, bikes, and umbrellas


And then the skies really opened up!!! It was bouncing down- and very windy!! It was like a typhoon. Umbrellas meant nothing (thank goodness for my raincoat). Clearly, walking around was not going to be in the cards. It would have to be something inside.....I know, I'll head to Trinity College and see the Book of Kells!!! Great idea....and one that about a thousand other people had as well!!

Everyone was going to see The Book of Kells

Trinity College in the rain

I waited in line outside for about 20 minutes (not bad really). It actually wasn't as crowded inside as I thought it would be. And I was able to take my time wondering through the Book of Kells exhibit (and gift shop). I couldn't take pictures, but it was quite interesting. According to the official website:

The place of origin of the Book of Kells is generally attributed to the scriptorium of the monastery founded around 561 by St Colum Cille on Iona, an island off the west coast of Scotland. In 806, following a Viking raid on the island which left 68 of the community dead, the Columban monks took refuge in a new monastery at Kells, County Meath. It must have been close to the year 800 that the Book of Kells was written, although there is no way of knowing if the book was produced wholly at Iona or at Kells, or partially at each location.

The display is changed throughout the year, so I was looking at:


Book of Kells

Decorated opening

John 1.1 Portrait of St John. P/rinci/pio erat uer/bum {et} uer{b}um - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word ... Opening words of the Gospel according to St John (folios 291v-292r)

Text opening

Luke 16.10-22. Et qui in modico ... ut / moriretur mendicus lazarus
The parable of the unjust steward (continued); Jesus rebukes the Pharisees; the story of the rich man and Lazarus (folios 253v-254r).

Book of Mulling

A copy of the four Gospels in Latin from St Mullins, Co. Carlow. Written in Irish minuscule script towards the end of the 8th century.
Open at portrait of Matthew and the opening words of his gospel (damaged) Liber generationis (folios 12v-13r).

Book of Dimma

A copy of the four Gospels in Latin from Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. Written in Irish minuscule script in the 8th century. Mistakenly thought to have been written by the scribe Dimma Mac Nathi. Purchased in 1830.
Open at pp 30-31: a portrait of Mark and the opening words of his gospel Initium euangelii …
After seeing the exhibit, I visited the Old Library and the Long Room. WOW!! I could have stayed in the Long Room for weeks. All those books- 200,000 to be exact- to be opened and read. It was heaven for me! The musty smell, the faint fog of dust in the air, the fading lettering- it felt like home to me. Also in the Long Room was one of the last remaining copies of the 1916 Proclamation of the Irish Republic and a harp from the 15th century. It was well worth the wait in the rain.
Trinity College

Green green grass....blue blue bike

Venturing back outside, the torrents of rain had stopped and a respectful drizzle was lingering. As I was already wet, I kept going to Grafton Street. I made a quick stop in Boots, of course, and then felt the call of something warm and found myself at a small table in Bewley's. While I didn't have a cuppa, I did have a cappuccino and slice of chocolate cake. I lingered for a while, perusing the papers, reading on my Ipad, and just people watching. The coffee quickly changed to a glass of wine and another piece of cake....I could have stayed all evening, but the waiters were eyeing me up a bit. And then the tables surrounding me were filling up with couples on dates. I decided I had lingered enough. 
Back on Grafton Street, it was pouring again! After a block, my feet were soaked, my jeans were soaked, my bags were soaked. I'd had enough!!! I headed back to the hotel, stopping only at Burger King for a to-go dinner (I know, I know, but in my defense I was cold and cranky- just wanted to get back to the room and a warm shower/ bed). After showering, I settled in to eat and watch a movie on TV. By this time, I was so tired (I had only landed that morning) that even though I had the beginnings of the rock club, I was lulled to sleep by the sweet sounds of Guns of Roses!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new look and part 2 school trip

New School Year- New Country

How is it May???!!!