Amazonas- Day 2
Up early again...we headed down to the port and crossed the mucky island to join the tour group again.
This time we were headed to Puerto Narino. But first, there were many animals to meet and hold along the way.
Our first stop brought us to a tiny little village where local women had a menagerie of animals. There was a monkey, a tortoise of some sort, pretty green birds. And sloths!! I was standing there and this woman just plunked one in my arms.
Finally, we headed to Puerto Narino. We had lunch here and wandered around for a bit. It felt and looked a bit like a tropical resort. The money from the military base there was evident as it was the most 2nd world looking place we had visited. Paved sidewalks, colorful houses, restaurants and shops.
This time we were headed to Puerto Narino. But first, there were many animals to meet and hold along the way.
Our first stop brought us to a tiny little village where local women had a menagerie of animals. There was a monkey, a tortoise of some sort, pretty green birds. And sloths!! I was standing there and this woman just plunked one in my arms.
It was a super surreal experience. This was a baby and she or he (I didn't figure that out) clung to me- with it's big, sharp talons. And they do move sllloooooowwwwwwlllllyyyyy. Think the sloths in the DMV in the movie Sing! ha ha ha ha
Their fur is very coarse and almost greasy, but soft as well. What an amazing experience to have. I really can't even believe that just 5 months ago I was in Czech Republic and now here I am in the Amazon, holding a sloth. I can't really wrap my head around it at all.
So there was the tortoise, the birds, the monkey, the sloths and this little guy
Not your average house cat...a cheetah! Crazy.
We left the menagerie and stopped off at Macedonia, Colombia. Here we were able to watch a traditional dance from the Huitoso tribe. It was interesting, even if it felt very touristy.
And then we headed to the place I had been waiting to go to ever since I read about Amazonas: Isla de Los Micos (Isle of Monkeys).
Isla de Los Micos is an island reserve that used to belong to a US poacher (and eventual drug smuggler), Mike Tsalickis. In the 1960s, he brought capuchin and pygmy mamoset monkeys to the island. They are mostly domesticated, relying on the guides to bring them bananas. And tourists.
When you go, you can't wear sunscreen or insect repellent so you don't harm the monkeys. Also, they warn you to hold on to your belongings as they little rascals like steal stuff- especially phones! After a short walk in the forest, we were surrounded by what seemed like hundreds of monkeys. And they jump all over you.
It was overwhelming for me. I LOVE monkeys, but I was not prepared for them to be all over me. We had been warned that they might poop or pee on you...so I was freaked about that. So the pictures of me with the monkeys look utterly ridiculous!! I'm squirming and look terrified! Haha. But one little guy just wanted to sleep on my arm...I got a good pic of that. It was so fun, but not exactly what I had envisioned.
We wandered, climbed the local tower for a birds eye view of the surrounding forests, and headed off.
Again, we looked for and found some pink dolphins...it seemed to be a staple of each day on the river to go hunting for them.
We made one last stop late in the afternoon at the Flor de Zato Nature Reserve to see the giant water lilies. These lilies are so big that a small child could sit on one. The reserve was quite peaceful, except for the occasional pictures or statues of Yacuruna, mythical water people. The Yacuruna presented itself with a decidedly friendly stance!!
The lilies were beautiful. Did you know they have spikes on the underside of the leaves?? I didn't.
The reserve was a nice way to end our day and our time on the Amazon. It was our last day on the water, the next day we were staying on land. So, with the sun setting over the Amazon, we arrived back at the dock and headed to the hotel.
After a great dinner at a local burger place, I passed out again at around 7:30. Another full day of experiences to dream about.
Comments
Post a Comment