Final day in Amazonas
On our last full day in Leticia, we decided to sleep in a bit and stay on dry land. Or so we thought.
We decided to go to Parque Ecologico Mundo Amazonico just outside of Leticia to see some rain forest plants.
We took a nice taxi ride out and joined a tour group for an informational tour of medicinal, edible, and aesthetic plants. Also, a cultural talk and trek through rain forest.
It was beautiful and quite educational. There were coca plants. Cocoa plants. Ayahuasca plants. And this:
We decided to go to Parque Ecologico Mundo Amazonico just outside of Leticia to see some rain forest plants.
We took a nice taxi ride out and joined a tour group for an informational tour of medicinal, edible, and aesthetic plants. Also, a cultural talk and trek through rain forest.
It was beautiful and quite educational. There were coca plants. Cocoa plants. Ayahuasca plants. And this:
He was the guide's dog and trotted along with us everywhere we went.
Today there would be no sloths or pink dolphins or monkeys. But there would be this:
And this:
Just as we were about to go on our trek through the rain forest...it started to downpour!! I was not really prepared for this. I had on a short sleeve shirt and tevas. But luckily they provided rubber ponchos and boots. So off we went- T, me and the female guide. As we were walking, the guide told us that there would probably be snakes and other creatures out and about because of the rain. And to make sure NOT to touch anything if we should happen to fall as creatures like to hide under the leaves!!
So I proceeded to skitter through the forest, clasping the poncho tightly shut around me. All with visions of Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone playing through my head.
Just as we finished our trek (really just a short loop), the rain stopped, of course. But I can say that I've bushwhacked through the rain forest in a torrential downpour!
Discovering that there was no cell service at the reserve to call the taxi, we hoofed it to the local bus stop and traveled like the locals- in a very crowded speedy bus- back to town.
And with that, my trip to the Amazon was over. A little shopping the next morning and off to the airport.
What a fantastic experience. Really. I never thought I'd be OK crossing rivers, traipsing through the rain forest, seeing tarantulas and centipedes, holding a massive snake on my shoulders, mauled by monkeys and cuddling sloths. Such a different scene than my trips around Europe.
And that's thing, that's why I made the move.
It's been tough. Real tough. And I have really second-guessed my decision. A lot.
But to get to experience this, something that not everyone has the chance to, it's amazing. I work HARD, but I'm so lucky to live this life.
I hope you've enjoyed the pictures!
Next up- I'm braving the grade 10 class trip to Guajira. The most northernly part of Colombia. Stay tuned

Comments
Post a Comment