Final Day in Ravenna- more UNESCO sites
On the final day in Ravenna, I wanted to see a few more mosaics before we had to catch the train at noon to Bologna.
The Basilica of St. Apollinare was quite breathtaking- so large in scale and yet quite basic in structure. The mosaic motifs were gorgeous again and you really needed to take your time, put down your camera, and soak it in.
There is quite a lot going on- frescos, naves, mosaics representing the Apostles, scenes from Theodoric's life, scenes from parables, etc. I'm sure I missed quite a few things.
After the Basilica, and last minute shopping in the gift shop (I bought a little mosaic kit to recreate one of the common motifs- still need to get on that!), and a quick cappuccino, V and I were off to Bologna for the final 3 days of our trip.
A side note: I have referenced a few times that I enjoyed a cappuccino or latte after 10 in the morning. Well, if you read any sort of travel guide about Italy, you will be bombarded with the advice that if you order a cappuccino after 10/11 in the morning you will be, egads!, branded a tourist. That no self-respecting Italian would do such a thing. And most likely, you will simply be refused such a ridiculous request!
To that I say BS!!
First off, I AM a tourist- I don't live in Italy, I am visiting. And I am all for experiencing the local culture and enjoying trying to assimilate a bit into the life of the locals. Not staying at a big chain hotel, but a smaller, family run inn for instance. Or trying new foods or drinks. Or learning some of the language. But in the end, I am, after all, a tourist. And that is OK. Actually, it is MORE than OK. I contribute to the local economy. By speaking with locals and making connections, I am sharing my own culture and experiences. It doesn't make me annoying or cliche or....I don't know what. I find it very offensive and elitist this idea that you don't want to appear to be a 'tourist'.
Second, V and I made it a point to ask a few of the residents we met about the whole 'no cappuccino after breakfast' thing and they told us that it was complete crap. That yes, it is usually drunk with breakfast and then the rest of the day you simply have coffee (espresso). And you certainly wouldn't order a cappuccino or latte to have with a meal (one waitress told us some tourists will order a cappuccino with their pasta??!!), but even they might have one in the evening with friends. Possibly with a bit of cake or pastry.
So- seriously, if you want a cappuccino and it is after 10 am- order the freaking cappuccino!!
OK- here are the last photos from Ravenna:
The Basilica of St. Apollinare was quite breathtaking- so large in scale and yet quite basic in structure. The mosaic motifs were gorgeous again and you really needed to take your time, put down your camera, and soak it in.
There is quite a lot going on- frescos, naves, mosaics representing the Apostles, scenes from Theodoric's life, scenes from parables, etc. I'm sure I missed quite a few things.
After the Basilica, and last minute shopping in the gift shop (I bought a little mosaic kit to recreate one of the common motifs- still need to get on that!), and a quick cappuccino, V and I were off to Bologna for the final 3 days of our trip.
A side note: I have referenced a few times that I enjoyed a cappuccino or latte after 10 in the morning. Well, if you read any sort of travel guide about Italy, you will be bombarded with the advice that if you order a cappuccino after 10/11 in the morning you will be, egads!, branded a tourist. That no self-respecting Italian would do such a thing. And most likely, you will simply be refused such a ridiculous request!
To that I say BS!!
First off, I AM a tourist- I don't live in Italy, I am visiting. And I am all for experiencing the local culture and enjoying trying to assimilate a bit into the life of the locals. Not staying at a big chain hotel, but a smaller, family run inn for instance. Or trying new foods or drinks. Or learning some of the language. But in the end, I am, after all, a tourist. And that is OK. Actually, it is MORE than OK. I contribute to the local economy. By speaking with locals and making connections, I am sharing my own culture and experiences. It doesn't make me annoying or cliche or....I don't know what. I find it very offensive and elitist this idea that you don't want to appear to be a 'tourist'.
Second, V and I made it a point to ask a few of the residents we met about the whole 'no cappuccino after breakfast' thing and they told us that it was complete crap. That yes, it is usually drunk with breakfast and then the rest of the day you simply have coffee (espresso). And you certainly wouldn't order a cappuccino or latte to have with a meal (one waitress told us some tourists will order a cappuccino with their pasta??!!), but even they might have one in the evening with friends. Possibly with a bit of cake or pastry.
So- seriously, if you want a cappuccino and it is after 10 am- order the freaking cappuccino!!
OK- here are the last photos from Ravenna:
Comments
Post a Comment